In A Gadda Da Vida Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» U FUCKS :)
SOPA/PIPA EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 1:15 pm by Mikoda

» WoD Plans!
SOPA/PIPA EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 3:36 pm by Mikoda

» Patching to 6.0 soon!
SOPA/PIPA EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 pm by tushar

» YOU FUCKIN FUCKS!!!!!! :)
SOPA/PIPA EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 pm by tushar

» I hate all of you
SOPA/PIPA EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 1:07 am by Radomize

» Sword Art Online (SPOILERS!!!)
SOPA/PIPA EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 10:25 pm by Radomize

» Fellas and Lady Fellas!
SOPA/PIPA EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:33 pm by Lucienda

» Anime List
SOPA/PIPA EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 10:40 pm by Lucienda

» Where the hell is everyone?
SOPA/PIPA EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 3:12 am by Dmonty

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

mmo champ
Google
Gamespot
WoW
Diablo 3
SOPA/PIPA Type
SOPA/PIPA Type

SOPA/PIPA

2 posters

Go down

SOPA/PIPA Empty SOPA/PIPA

Post by Fujiiro Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 pm

I'd like to hope that everyone here took the time yesterday to write to their local congressmen to tell them how they feel about the upcoming Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA).

If you haven't... you should go stand in the corner of shame! It's not too late, though.

Visit eff.org now and find out who your local congressmen are and tell them you are concerned about this bill. I especially recommend you do this if your congressman is a supporter of the current bills.

The bills seem to be losing support, thanks to everyone's efforts, but that doesn't mean it's time to give up the fight!
Fujiiro
Fujiiro

Back to top Go down

SOPA/PIPA Empty Re: SOPA/PIPA

Post by Rose Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Everyone should do a reasonable amount of research before concluding that they are for or against it.

Telling people they should be ashamed if they don't agree with someone elses stance is ...unAmerican Laughing
Rose
Rose
Admin

https://inagaddadavida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fujiiro Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Internet Blacklist Legislation

The "Stop Online Piracy Act"/"E-PARASITE Act" (SOPA) and "The PROTECT IP Act" (PIPA) are the latest in a series of bills which would create a procedure for creating (and censoring) a blacklist of websites. These bills are updated versions of the “Combating Online Infringements and Counterfeits Act" (COICA), which was previously blocked in the Senate. Although the bills are ostensibly aimed at reaching foreign websites dedicated to providing illegal content, their provisions would allow for removal of enormous amounts of non-infringing content including political and other speech from the Web.

The various bills define different techniques for blocking “blacklisted” sites. Each would interfere with the Internet's domain name system (DNS), which translates names like "[Removed]" or "[Censored]" into the IP addresses that computers use to communicate. SOPA would also allow rightsholders to force payment processors to cut off payments and advertising networks to cut ties with a site simply by sending a notice.

These bills are targeted at "rogue" websites that allow indiscriminate piracy, but use vague definitions that could include hosting websites such as Dropbox, MediaFire, and Rapidshare; sites that discuss piracy such as pirate-party.us, p2pnet, Torrent Freak, torproject.org, and ZeroPaid; as well as a broad range of sites for user-generated content, such as SoundCloud, Etsy, and Deviant Art. Had these bills been passed five or ten years ago, even YouTube might not exist today — in other words, the collateral damage from this legislation would be enormous.

There are already laws and procedures in place for taking down sites that violate the law. These acts would allow the Attorney General, and even individuals, to create a blacklist to censor sites when no court has found that they have infringed copyright or any other law.

This bill would give our government free reign to effectively kill/silence any internet site that they simply don't like. That, by definition, is censorship.
Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

Censorship is a direct violation of the First Amendment to the US Constitution:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Which means these acts are unconstitutional. If you support SOPA or PIPA you are, by definition, un-American.
Fujiiro
Fujiiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I know the details.

I don't like seeing individual bullying any more than I like seeing "government" bullying.

I've been reading alot and having to wade through many sweepingly stupid statements. "You're stoopid if you support this" etc etc.

If you really care about this and are against it, nobody is going to listen to "you should be ashamed if you don't agree with me"

Just sayin'
Rose
Rose
Admin

https://inagaddadavida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fujiiro Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Actually I said you should be ashamed if you agree with me and do nothing about it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I admit that the agreeing with me part was assumed because I couldn't fathom a person alive that would AGREE with this bill that wasn't in the pocket of the US entertainment industry.
Fujiiro
Fujiiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum